Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Before & After Thursday

Today's Before & After has required no Photoshop editing... hmmmm...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

So how did I do this in-camera, you ask? Well, friends, let me give you a small lesson on color temperature.

Kelvin is the scale for measuring temperature. It basically helps you measure how blue (cool) or orange (warm) the light is. Our eyes are good at judging what is white under different kinds of light, but our cameras are not. Cameras usually take a pretty good guess at determining a white balance (as shown in the first picture), but in this photo, the white snow does not appear pure white as it should be.

In order to give these pictures an artistic "cool" winter feel, I manually changed the Kelvin setting to 2500K to achieve the blue-ish tint.  If you are a photographer, learning to control your white balance is very important. It helps save time in post-processing, and it can also give you an artistic edge if you wish to manipulate it yourself. 

Here's a good site that goes into more details about white balance and color temperature. Happy learning!

Here are a few more of my favorite shots from my 5-minute mini-session with the snow, my pitcher of water, and some wine glasses...  If my neighbors ever watch my impromptu photo sessions with inanimate objects in my backyard, I'm sure they think I'm a little loopy...  but they should be used to it by now. :)


See my neighbor's upside-down house and trees in the pitcher of water? Neato!


Check out the granules of ice and snow at the bottom...


Winter, you've been wonderful...

but God, bring some sunny warmness my way, pretty please... I'm slowly going insane!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment